July 5, 2021
Tips for Finding a Reliable Bathroom Remodeling Contractor
June 25, 2015
Think picking paint color is hard? Finding an experienced and trust-worthy Maryland bathroom remodeling contractor is probably the most difficult part of the entire bathroom remodeling process. And it is difficult because there are many contractors you can choose from, yet most people have little knowledge of what to look for. Meanwhile, the entire success of the project largely depends on how good the contractor is, so, without further ado, here are some important things to factor into your search for a Maryland bathroom remodeling contractor.
Have a Plan
Before you even start calling different contractors, think what exactly you want done in your bathroom. Bathroom remodeling is a rather all-encompassing term, and your contractor would need some specifics in order to give you an accurate estimate. Are you simply replacing the tub and changing the wall color? Is it a complete gut and replace? Or maybe you just know that your bathroom has problems and you want someone to come in and offer solutions? The point is, have some idea of the project scope before you start looking for estimates.
Make a List of Contractors to Contact
It’s generally advised to speak with 2-3 contractors and get different estimates. This will give you an idea of the price range your project falls into, as well as allow you to compare different remodeling companies. But how do you find these 2-3 contractors?
- Ask your friends and family. Put a post on Facebook and see if anyone in your network recommends a trusted local contractor who did a good job on their bathroom.
- Search on Google for “bathroom remodeling Baltimore” (insert your location there). Look through the top search results and click to open a few websites.
- Use websites such as Angie’s List and HomeAdvisor to read online reviews about different bathroom remodeling contractors in your area.
What a Good Bathroom Remodeling Contractor Looks Like
- Licensed, bonded and insured
- Experienced – 5 years in business or longer
- Experienced in completing projects similar to yours
- Local and easy to get in touch with
- Friendly and easy to talk to
- Can provide references, testimonials or portfolio photos
- Doesn’t rush the job and pays attention to detail
- Has his own team of contractors or trusted sub-contractors
Compare Apples to Apples
So you’ve done good so far: you’ve defined your project, found 3 contractors and requested 3 estimates. But this is the point where many homeowners make the mistake of comparing numbers rather than looking at estimates line by line. Make sure you are comparing apples to apples when you are reviewing estimates. Just like in the store you compare a 6-pack of 2-ply paper towels to a 4-pack of 4-ply paper towels. One may cost more, but it will also serve you longer. Carefully check which materials, finishes and timelines the contractors are proposing to evaluate the cost vs. value ratio for each estimate. Don’t hesitate to call contractors with any additional questions before you make any decisions.
And feel free to get in touch with Bath Doctor for a free estimate! We’ll be happy to help you plan and execute your bathroom remodeling project.