May 3, 2020
5 Tips For Choosing Colors for Your Bathroom
July 28, 2015
Planning a bathroom remodeling project can be both fun and stressful due to the abundance of colors, hardware, materials and accents to choose from. Our Maryland bathroom remodeling pros at Bath Doctor are happy to help you with the color selection. Having remodeled hundreds of bathrooms, we know quite a bit about what works and what doesn’t depending on your bathroom’s size, location and style.
Think About the Size
In a large bathroom, most colors will look fine, but if you want to make a smaller bathroom look bigger, go for lighter colors. Shades of white, grey and beige, as well as pastels will visually enlarge and brighten up your bathroom. Avoid using dark shades and contrasting color combinations in a small bathroom.
Think About the Future
Your home is an investment, and so is your bathroom remodeling project. Everything you do to your place can positively or negatively affect its value. This is something to think about if you are planning on selling the house in the near future. You may adore your bright yellow bathroom, but for potential buyers it will be just another room they’ll have to redo. This is why using neutral colors in the bathroom and throughout the house is a good idea if your goal is to appeal to potential buyers.
Think About the Style
Are you gutting the bathroom completely or simply refreshing the paint job? If you are building your new bathroom from the ground up, then you can start fresh with the new color scheme. However, if you are keeping the toilet, sink, bathtub and/or vanity, you’ll need to make sure they fit into your new design. While performing bathroom remodeling in Maryland, we’ve seen our share of 70s green sinks and yellow bathtubs. These items may be challenging to work around, but there’s nothing our design team can’t do even if you are set on keeping the vintage charm.
Think About the Mood
To make the color-picking easier, select a mood or a theme for your bathroom. Ask yourself this question: what do I want to feel like when I’m in the bathroom? Depending on your answer, you’ll have an idea of the right colors that will evoke the desired mood and feel. For example, use:
- White, green and black for freshness
- Aqua for tropical paradise
- Navy blue or maroon with gold for glam
- White for clean and pristine
- Beige and brown for a spa feel
- Pale pink for a girly look
It’s natural to have doubts when it comes to selecting a color. You can see it on a swatch, but you have no idea how it’s going to look on the wall next to the rest of the bathroom finishes and accessories. Try envisioning the complete look to make sure all your color elements play well together. Here are some design tools you can use:
- Pinterest. Not only is it fun, but also quite useful for design purposes. You can pin color swatches and pictures of the décor accents you are planning on using to see how it all looks together. Create different boards for different color schemes to easily compare your favorite options.
- Design Seeds. This is a website for those looking for color inspiration. You can search by color or by mood and discover lots of palettes already put together for you and based on images of nature and the world around us.
- Taking pictures. Take pictures of your current bathroom, upload them to your computer and play with colors. Use any photo editing software to change the color balance and envision your bathroom in a new light.
Think you could use professional help? Feel free to contact our Maryland bathroom design and remodeling team at Bath Doctor. We can share our expert opinion and come up with a design that incorporates all of your must-haves.